When Mr Pete and I met over 20 years ago, our first date was to a friend of mine’s birthday bash. Our second date involved takeaway Chinese food, a couple of Disney videos and two 4 year olds. The kids (our eldest Nick and my friends daughter, who I had agreed to babysit) soon got tired with the movies and headed off to the bedroom to play.
Three things came of that night:
- Hubby and I fell in love that night watching Beauty and the Beast,
- I never went back to my own place, except to collect my belongings
- and all of our dates since then have been much the same.
You see, once we became a couple, we realised that we both liked the simple things in life more than dressing up and going out. A nice meal and a great movie is a lot more fun for us than going to a restaurant or club and the bonus is, it’s a lot cheaper. Date nights (whether you’re married or dating) don’t have to be expensive or complicated.
Here are some simple ideas for dating:
- Pack a picnic and head to a park or beach. Take along your ipod for a bit of mood music and just enjoy spending some time together.
- Take advantage of local attractions like Movies Under the Stars or Music in the Park etc. Again pack a picnic or buy from local vendors.
- If you have kids, put them to bed early (or send them for a sleepover at grandmas) and hire a movie, order in your favourite meal and cozy up on the couch for some one on one time.
- Local markets or fairs in your town? Why not sample some local wares while strolling around hand in hand.
- Enjoy the outdoors? Then what about going berry picking or going horse riding? You could take a hike or spend the day at the zoo.
- Do you share an interest or something you’ve always wanted to try? Then how about taking a class or going to an exhibit together.
Date’s don’t have to be all about roses and going out for dinner. Think outside the box and do something you know you’ll enjoy.