Today’s post is a guest post from my eldest daughter, Jaidyn. She has some great tips on how to deal with stress.
We all deal with stress. Every day. For numerous reasons. It’s something that plagues our lives and why? Because we worry, we think too much and we over-analyse. All of these contribute to more stress. As a senior in high school, I’m generally stressed. It’s only worse this time of the year with HSC exams around the corner (final exams for senior students).
So, how do we deal with stress?
Well, first we have to identify what’s stressing us out in the first place. Is it exams? Is it an upcoming event? Is it our children, our bills, our jobs? It could be all of those things. In any case, as soon as you’ve identified what’s stressing you out, it becomes easier to stress less.
Here are my simple tips for destressing:
- Identify what’s making you stress.
- Practice yoga (beginner to advanced—I recommend the Tara Stiles videos from YouTube)
- Try deep breathing.
- Drink more water and green tea.
- Take time for yourself. This one can be hard if you’re a busy person, but it can be as simple as taking a walk or spending a few extra minutes locked in the bathroom.
- Try a sport. It’s been proven that sport or exercise of any kind can reduce stress due to the endorphins released.
- Like above, exercise! You can run, swim, bike, use the Wii (Wii Fit!) or anything you feel up to.
- Take the time to do something you enjoy. This could be scrapbooking or reading. Just something to take your mind off of things.
- Journal! Now, my mum generally journals every day and she had told me that it’s like a mind dump. It doesn’t have to make sense. Just write whatever comes to mind and I guarantee you’ll feel better. The internet also has online journals if you’re not into pen and paper.
- Lastly, if all else fails, eliminate the things that are stressing you out. This can be hard, but even taking a step back from the things stressing you can make a different.
Author’s Secret—chocolate works wonders, too.
I hope these tips work for you. They’ve worked for me!