Far too many of us are wasting money that could go towards better things. Here are a few ways you could be throwing money away.
6 Ways You Could Be Wasting Money
- Paying too much for your home phone and internet. We don’t use our home phone but since we live in an area where it is difficult to get wireless, satellite or naked internet at a decent price, we are required to have a land line in order to have internet. Some companies will bundle your services and offer you a discount or it may be cheaper to use two separate providers. But either way it is worth checking to make sure you are getting the best deal you can
- Paying too much for your mobile (cell) phone or not being aware of what inclusions are a part of your plan. My current plan does not include 13 or 1800 numbers here in Australia, so I pay regular rate for these calls. The plan I am switching to includes them as a part of the basic plan.
- Paying too much for your insurance because you just automatically renew each year with the same company without shopping around or asking them if they can give you a better deal. It’s also a good idea to check your policy and make sure you are not paying to insure items you no longer own.
- Not receiving any discounts you are entitled to. If you hold a pensioner or health care card you may be entitled to a discount on some of your household bills and travel costs. It’s always a good idea to ask whether discounts are available and whether you are receiving them. You can also receive discounts on products and services through memberships, so be sure to check what you are entitled to.
- Paying too much for your gas and electricity. Now that there are several providers available, these companies need to offer discounts in order to convince customers to sign with them. So with rising energy costs it’s worth ringing around to see whether you are getting the best deal.
- Paying late fee’s because you forgot to return a DVD or library book, or because you were late paying a bill. Some companies even offer a discount if you pay your bills early or on time.